There's a new melon on the block...
...and it's name is Hami. "Hami" is the Chinese word for winter melons - but they're best here in the summertime! The Hami melon is in the cantaloupe family, so they look similar, but they are the shape of a football. Their skin is yellowish gold speckled with green and have a paler orange inside. The best part about the Hami melons? Their CRUNCH.
Look for the Hami melon on our menu, and try cooking with it at home with this refreshing, crisp Sunshine Salad!
- 1 small, ripe Hami melon, halved, seeded, peeled, and cut into chunks
- 2 clementines (or 1 small orange), peeled and segmented
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Tear or mince the fresh mint, set aside
- In a large bowl, toss together the Hami melon, clementines, and cucumbers
- In a small bowl, stir together the mint, ginger, and honey
- Squeeze the juice of the lime into the honey mixture (optional: add zest), and stir
- Using a whisk or fork, add in the olive oil and mix until smooth
- Pour half of the dressing over the melon mixture to coat and sprinkle with salt
Recipe adapted from here