Homemade Whole Wheat Spinach Pasta
Impress your friends and family with one of their new favorites - homemade pasta! Pasta is surprisingly easy to make with only three ingredients (flour, water, and eggs). This recipe uses fresh spinach to add more veggies to the meal and turns the pasta a beautiful green! We love to go all green and serve it with our Nut-Free Pesto or our go-to No Cook Tomato Sauce.
- 8 oz. fresh spinach, stems removed
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lukewarm water
- Cook the spinach in boiling water about 2 minutes or until wilted
- Rinse to cool and squeeze it dry. Puree the spinach in a blender.
- Add the eggs and blend the mixture well.
- Place the flour on a large floured surface.
- Make a well (a large indentation) in the center. Pour the spinach-egg mixture into the well.
- Add the salt, oil, and water. Beat the mixture in the well with a fork.
- Using fork, gently start to work the flour into the liquid. Continue doing so until the dough becomes sticky and difficult to work with the fork.
- Use your hands to form the dough into a ball.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 2-5 minutes.
- Lightly cover with a drop of olive oil. Cover with a bowl, towel, or place in Ziploc bag. Allow to rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
To Make Pasta
- Pasta Dough (see above)
- Salt for water
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Pasta Maker OR Pizza Cutter
- Rolling Pin
- Baking Sheet or Drying Rack
- Large Pot & Stove Top
- On a clean, floured surface, roll out the dough until it is about 1 inch thick.
- Cut dough into strips that are about 1 1/2 inches wide.
- FOR PASTA MAKER: Roll each strip of dough until it is think enough to go through the first setting of the pasta machine. Continually flour the surface as you roll the dough so that it doesn't stick. Run the dough through the machine until it reaches desired thickness. Then cut pasta into desired thickness
- FOR PIZZA CUTTER: Roll out the dough as thin as possible, about 1 mm thick. Run the pizza cutter along the flattened dough, creating strips of desired thickness.
- Hang the pasta on the drying rack and lightly flour it.
- Bring pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until tender, about 2-6 minutes.