With Thanksgiving right around the corner, we're offering some ideas for making your spread a little more colorful this year. One easy way to add a pop of color into your meal? Sub plain white potatoes for some bright orange sweet potatoes!
These colorful root vegetables are loaded with fiber and nutrients, including beta-carotene, vitamins A and C, and antioxidants. Plus, this Red Rabbit recipe adds cinnamon, which can fight inflammation and lower blood sugar levels.
Yields: 4 servings (1/2 cup)
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 2.5 - 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Pinch of ground ginger
- Pinch of sea salt
1. Peel sweet potatoes and slice crosswise into ½ inch rounds.
2. Steam sweet potatoes for 20 mins until you can easily pierce with a knife.
3. Melt butter in a medium pot and transfer potatoes along with honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
4. Use an electric mixer or handheld potato masher to blend sweet potatoes and spices together until smooth.