Works Perfectly as a dip with crackers and crudités, or slathered onto toasted slices of baguette for an easy, tasty bruschetta.
- 200g (1½ cups) frozen edamame beans
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup (loosely packed) mint leaves
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil.
- Add the beans and garlic cloves and, once the water returns to the boil, cook for 5 minutes, until tender.
- Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water before draining.
- Rinse the beans under cold running water.
- Put the beans, garlic and mint in a blender.
- Using a fine grater, grate in the zest of the lemon, then juice it, adding 2 tablespoons of juice.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the reserved cooking water and the olive oil.
- Blitz until fairly smooth, but leave some texture in it.
- Taste, adding lemon juice, salt and pepper as required.
- Add enough of the cooking water, a little at a time, to produce a dippable consistency.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to let the flavours develop. Serve at room temperature.