Yields: 6 servings (Appx 1 1/2 cups each)
- 3 pounds heirloom or plum tomatoes, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh basil, stems removed and finely slivered
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt + pinch for pasta water
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Dice tomatoes
- Roll up basil leaves and cut them into slivers.
- Measure out ½ cup olive oil.
- Place the diced tomatoes with their juices into the jar. Add garlic, half of the olive oil, half of the basil, the salt and the pepper. Stir gently to combine, then cover the jar.
- Allow jar contents to sit .
- Toss the pasta with the tomato mixture from the jar, half of the cheese, and the remaining olive oil. Season to taste.
- Serve with a sprinkle of the remaining cheese and basil on top.