Searching for the perfect bowl of chili this winter? We've got you covered. Check out our favorite vegetarian chili recipe, filled with warm spices and fresh vegetables. Meat lovers can modify the recipe by adding ground turkey, beef or sausage.
Yields: 15 Servings
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red, orange, yellow, or green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin (more if you like the flavor)
- 1/2 Tablespoon chili powder (more if you want more spice)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 3 cans of beans: kidney, black, and pinto rinsed and drained
- 1-2 cups frozen corn to be added during the last 5 minutes of cooking
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add onions, peppers, and garlic and cook until vegetables are softened but not browned.
Add cumin and chili powder. Stir to blend.
Add tomatoes and rinsed beans.
Gently simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes.
Add the frozen corn during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Serve and garnish individual bowls with cheddar cheese. Add green onions, hot sauce, or sour cream, if desired.