Kids love this bright and super simple recipe for a nut-free pesto. When choosing fresh basil, the leaves should be vibrant and deep green in color. For storage, keep fresh basil in the refrigerator wrapped in a slightly damp dish cloth or paper towel.
Try this recipe as an alternative to traditional tomato sauce or as new and yummy addition to pizza and pasta dishes. Spread pesto onto a sandwich or try using it as a salad dressing. Most importantly, have fun!
- 2 loosely packed cups basil leaves, stems removed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 /4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Pinch black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- About 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Add all ingredients except the olive oil to the food processor and pulse until ingredients start to combine.
2. With the processor continually running, gradually add in the olive oil until a smooth, sauce consistency.
3. Try it tossed with whole wheat pasta, or as a sandwich spread! Enjoy!