This colorful wrap is an exemplary balanced, plant-based meal that kids LOVE! The creaminess of avocado, sweetness of white beans, and crunchiness of cabbage makes this dish packed with nutrients and a treat for the taste buds. We used collard green leaves for wraps, eliminating any processed or refined carbohydrates and adding in even more nutritional value. Red Rabbit students love creating this creative dish and enjoy eating it even more!
Creamy Avocado and White Bean Collard Green Wraps
Yields 4 large wraps
- 4 large collard green leaves (the larger the better)*
- Large bowl of ice water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, stems discarded
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ripe avocado, pit removed
- Optional: 2 tablespoons minced red onion
*You can substitute with 10- or 12-inch whole wheat tortillas
- Remove and discard the stem from the base of each collard green leaf.
- Using a paring knife, flatten the spine of each leaf by sliding the knife down the middle of the leaf along the raised spine so that it is flat with the rest of the leaf.
- Bring a shallow pan of water to a boil. Lower to a simmer. Place a leaf in the simmering water for about 30 seconds. Be careful not to overcook; if the leaf gets too mushy, it will not hold the wrap together.
- Remove the collard with tongs and place in ice water bath for 10 seconds.
- Transfer to a paper towel and pat try. Repeat for each collard leaf. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine shredded cabbage and carrot with cilantro. Add vinegar mixture and toss well to coat evenly.
- Scoop the avocado from its skin into the small bowl you used to make the vinegar mixture. Add the white beans and mash with a potato masher or fork. Stir in red onion, if using.
- To assemble, place a cooled, dry collard leaf on a clean surface. Spread 1/4 of the bean-avocado mixture into the center of the leaf. Top with 1/4 of the cabbage-carrot slaw. Tuck in the ends and roll the leaf over the fillings, then roll tightly to ensure all ingredients are secured inside. Repeat for the remaining 3 leaves. Cut wraps in half to serve. Enjoy!