Fruits are very special foods from nature because they are filled with natural sugars that delight our taste buds while also providing our bodies with nutrients and fiber that help keep our bodies healthy. Red Rabbit’s Pear-y Blue Ginger Applesauce is a simple recipe that combines the natural sweetness of pears and apples, the spiciness of ginger, the bright blue of blueberries, and the tartness of lemons for the perfect, healthy snack. Your child won’t miss the refined sugars in this colorful, flavor-packed dish!
Pear-y Blue Ginger Applesauce
Yields 10 servings
- 2 pounds apples, peeled, cored, and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 pounds pears, peeled, cored, and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pint fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 ½-2 cups water
- Combine chopped apples, pears, and blueberries into a large bowl. Pour lemon juice on top and mix.
- Add apples, pears, blueberries, ginger and 1 ½ cups water into a large pot. Place on stove on high heat and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure the fruit does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Once the fruit has softened significantly, remove the pot from heat. Mash with a potato masher or puree with immersion blender for a smoother consistency. Serve warm or at room temperature.