Lettuce isn’t just for salads! Get creative with large leaf lettuce by using it as a healthy alternative to wraps or bread. In this Red Rabbit Recipe, your child will have a blast with the creative process of placing his or her choice of colorful fresh ingredients inside of a crunchy, refreshing lettuce leaf wrap. Get creative at home with this recipe by substituting your own favorite vegetables, raw or cooked. And don’t forget the dipping sauce!
Lettuce Wraps with Sweet Soy Citrus Dipping Sauce
Yield: 15-20 wraps
- 1 package (14 oz) extra firm or baked tofu
- 1 head green or red leaf lettuce, leaves removed, rinsed, and dried
- 1 head romaine lettuce, leaves removed, rinsed, and dried
- 2 tart apples, such as Granny Smith, diced
- 2 red, yellow, or orange peppers, diced
- 2 cucumbers, diced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 cups green peas or edamame
- Handful of fresh mint, cilantro, and/or basil leaves, chopped
Sweet Soy Citrus Dipping Sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- If using fresh tofu in water, remove tofu from liquid and place on cutting board between clean dish towels or paper towels. Place another cutting board on top, and then a heavy can or object on top of the cutting board. Allow to sit for anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes to drain as much liquid from the tofu as possible. If using ready-baked tofu, skip this step. Chop drained or baked tofu into bite-sized pieces.
- While waiting for tofu to drain, whisk together soy sauce, lime juice, honey, and mustard in a small bowl.
- Keeping each prepared ingredient in separate small bowls, line up all ingredients on your serving surface for a “build-your-own lettuce wrap” set-up. Be sure the pile of lettuce leaves is at the front of the line-up. Alternatively, you can mix together all lettuce wrap ingredients other than lettuce in a large bowl.
- Place a single lettuce leaf on a plate. Add desired ingredients in a small pile in the middle of the leaf. If desired, pour a spoonful of dressing mixture on top of ingredients. Fold or roll sides of the leaf over ingredients to form an enclosed wrap. Repeat for remaining lettuce leaves. Use additional dressing for dipping.