Did you know that 94% of consumers snack at least once daily? With our busy schedules we often don't focus on eating healthy snacks because we're too busy thinking about breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Even our kids are always on the go, running from class to activities and we are often tempted by the "easy option" which includes anything and everything from the corner store or a vending machine. However, we know snacks can contain the same delicious and nutritious ingredients as the rest of our meals. Read on to see how!
In preparing our menus every week, we think critically about the snacks that we deliver because we recognize the importance of them in our student's diets. Kids are known to eat what they like, and are drawn to sugary or salty snacks, we've even heard that "healthy snacks don't taste as good as regular snacks". So, at Red Rabbit we take that into consideration and follow a pretty simple guideline to ensure we cover off on the most important elements:
- Our snacks often include some kind of fruit or vegetable to provide the nutrition the students need. Whether it is beets in our beet hummus or the peach in our peach yogurt parfait.
- We feature whole grains frequently because they contain fiber that makes the students feel full for longer and give them the energy they need to get through their next meal - whether it be lunch or dinner.
- We deliver snacks around routine snack eating times. We know when our students need a pick me up - it's when they're lagging or distracted before lunch or when they're getting sleepy towards the end of the school day. Our team of drivers ensures every school gets their snacks in time for snackin'.
- We make snack feel like a treat. We know kids are used to it being a special time for a break, so we always try serve items that are fun and delicious that do not make eating snack feel like a chore. This is a good tip for all of those choosy eaters out there!
- When we can, we include several different food groups into one snack - think Spinach Zucchini bites or Pita Bread with Edamame Hummus - so kids can think about snack like they are small meals.
Check out the list below for some of our favorite snacks, we're always updating our menu and open to your feedback so please feel free to let us know what some of your favorites are and how we can continue to evolve our food and keep your kids snackin'.