Whether you're a family of two, four or eight, cooking family meals on a budget is most likely something you spend time thinking about. Following our popular series, Cooking on a Budget of $25 or Less, we'll be sharing budget friendly recipes and tips all spring long.
Our tip this month: Use a pantry staple you already have on hand for your recipe's base. This can be a legume, like a bean or lentil, a grain, like a pasta or noodle, or, one of the friendliest pantry staples - rice. Brown, white, jasmine and wild are just a few of our favorites. This week, we're sharing our special recipe for Spanish Style Rice & Beans, which gets its pack of flavor from our homemade sofrito. Sofrito is a base used in many Latin dishes, made with peppers, cilantros and spices. We've shared ours below. We suggest doubling this recipe and inviting your abuelos over for dinner. !Buen Provecho!
Spanish Style Rice & Beans
For the Rice (yields 3 cups)
For the Beans (yields ~2.5 cups)
For the Sofrito (yields 2 cups)
- Soak red beans overnight.
- Boil red beans until cooked through and set aside.
- Add all sofrito ingredients to blender and blend to desired consistency.
- Heat up oil in a pot.
- Add sofrito and tomato paste to the pot. Cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add red beans and water.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Adjust consistency with water if it is too thick.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Combine rice, beans and sofrito in a large bowl.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper