So you're not a "morning person." At least that's what you tell people when you just can't seem to get going in the morning. As our days get shorter and darker during the winter months, it feels even harder to pull up those covers, get out of bed and feel energized about the day to come. Luckily, you can upgrade your mornings and get pumped for the day by following one simple piece of advice - eat a balanced breakfast.Top 6 Breakfast Tips to Get Your Body Going
1. Eat within an hour of waking up.
2. Keep breakfast between 300–500 calories.
3. Include two to three food groups in your breakfast (e.g., glass of fat-free or low-fat milk with a piece of fruit, plain low-fat yogurt with fresh or dried fruit, 1% cottage cheese with a handful of nuts and/or fresh/dried fruit or 100% whole-wheat toast with a scrambled egg).
4. Choose oatmeal and cereal that isn't already pre-sweetened with added simple sugars. Instead, sweeten yourself with a little dried or fresh fruit.
5. Pick 100% whole-grain, fiber-containing cereals with at least 5 grams of fiber per serving and with an equal number or less grams of sugar per serving.
6. Don't have time to eat breakfast at home? Keep whole-grain mini bagels (the apple cinnamon variety) or muffins on hand, nuts and dried and fresh fruits that can be taken in the car (apples, pears and bananas are also easy, without being messy!).
These quick and easy tips will give you more energy, focus, and a general feeling of well-being than you can imagine. Remember, your body is like a car—it needs to be given the right “fuel” to perform well—and this is it!